Thursday 2 February 2012

Fibonacci in Nature


I have noticed a pattern in the inspiration for my work; I have looked at flowers, cacti plants and shells. I was always interested in the patterns and shapes within these elements of nature. The picture opposite it a golden section spiral construction diagram, ‘The Golden Section preferences are part of the remarkable relationships between the proportions of patterns of growth in living things such as plants and animals’. (Kimberly Elam)

 

The main name for patterns found in nature is Fibonacci. Fibonacci was a mathematician who created a sequence of numbers, the first two numbers in the sequence are 0 and 1, and each subsequent number is the sum of the previous two. The sequence is, 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13,21 ,34 ,55 ,89 ,144 etc. Fibonacci sequences appear in biological settings, creating repetitive swirling patterns, giving structure to nature, the sequence can be found in sun flower seeds, tapered pine cones, pineapples, flowers, Romanesque broccoli and cauliflower, cactus plants and spirals of shells and ammonites. 

.      


I have always found the structures and patterns in nature captivating, and wandered if there could be a generalised pattern or structure to them, using the Fibonacci structure I will try to incorporate the patterns into my designs. I will look at the different plant, shell and fossil formations documenting them by taking photographs and  producing drawings focusing on pattern.