Thursday 23 February 2012

Ceramic Final Design


Looking at the Fibonacci pattern I have tried to reproduce the pattern focusing on shapes I could see within it. I started with a circle and two Fibonacci numbers next to each other in the sequence of 0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55,89… I used 5 and 8, and dividing the circle firstly by 5 and then used a French curve to create a curve from point to point, then by 8. To do this I divided the circle up and used a protractor, dividing 360 by 5 = 72 and 360 by 8 = 45. The curves for each number need to go in opposite directions.
 






           








The shapes I picked out were petal-like and the number of petals was determined by the smaller number of spirals, I experimented with 5 and 8 petals. I then decided to make the pattern 3D by extruding the shapes up, but keep the interlinking lines of the shapes. The 8 petal piece was too complex so I used the 5 petal design, and used Corel Draw to produce the outline of the pattern, and exported it into Solidworks. I have looked at the work of Tavs Jorgenson, who creates similar extruded ceramic pieces, using digital technology; he uses a 3D printer that prints out his pieces using plaster. 
 
I am going to use the clay extruder for my design, as slip cast methods can’t be used to produce my design unless I produced separate moulds for each segment. I have produced a 3d model in solidworks of my light, including the light fixture itself, I researched light designer Lilach Lotan who creates porcelain lights, she uses a light fixture from Ikea called the Grundtal which is safe for ceramic lighting. I encorporated the specific light fixture measurements to get an acurate model.  







With the light measurement in the model I can map out the scale needed to fit the light, I need to test different heights to see how much light gets out, I will do this using a prototype I have made using a 3D printer. I want my light to be subtle and warm. I can achieve this with a small light and a warm, neutral palette of clay.

My final design will change as I test clay colours, and the complexity of the pattern may need to be simplified. The next step is to produce coloured clay samples, and to design my CAD piece that will link to the light design, starting with the initial pattern. I want to experiment with materials further using the laser cutter and 3D prototype machine.