Thursday 16 February 2012

Development and Designs

I have looked at Fibonacci to inform the shape of my designs, at first I was looking at combining both material areas together to create a table with a light in its base/legs but I feel it’s moving away from my brief, I am focusing on the spirals and patterns within a pine cone, and also spiralling in staircases. I still want to create a set of lights or light built with several pieces for ceramics, and a piece of furniture in CAD that can link to each other in some way.

I am going to be testing different clay colours until I have a final design. I am making the slip from scratch, and then adding coloured pigments or stains. I got the recipe from, The Ceramic Process which gives you step by step instructions for many ceramic processes.
The recipe for creating a clay is:
HTR Clay - 25%
China Clay - 30%
Molochite 120's - 7-12%
Nepheline Syenite -10-13%
Quartz - 20-25% 

My colour scheme is quite a neutral palette such as brown, cream, yellow, orange and the shades in between. I decided to look at spiral stairs after seeing architecture by Gaudi who used the nautilus spiral for his stairs, based on the Fibonacci spiral. Looking at the stairs I am focusing on the levels and layering of increasing sized shapes.     
I need to focus on the main shape of the lights, and how many I am going to make. I want to look at using the fibonacci pattern onto the surface of the light in some way, and start designing more around this. I feel like my designs in my sketchbook so far are so distant and complicated, combining a table and a light together in my designs was too much, and it’s not what I want to do, I just need to take a step back and start again.