Friday 29 March 2013

Layered Bubble Vase #1

I researched into other natural formations such as lava and ice. When lava hits ice it reacts by creating bubbles in the lava, as seen on a YouTube video shown by Syracuse University. I also looked at the reaction caused when a volcano erupts under a frozen sea, it causes ice bubbles to form on the surface, the layering of the ice bubbles inspired me to use bubble shapes in my designs. 

I created a varied sized collection of layered bubbles in Solidworks, I then used them to assemble a vessel shape. I placed the bubbles around a cylindrical shape to keep some structure to the vessel but the bubbles have been assembled randomly. I then hollowed out the vessel.

The vase design I've produced was too large for the Universities 3D printer so I decided to make the model in slices using lasercut perspex. I made the model hollow to make the most of the perspex sheet. Each layer is 5mm thick and was assembled and glued with technicol, a perspex glue that dries clear.

I then used the model to create a 3 part plaster mould, 4 parts including the foot ring, the first model I made had a melted edge left from the lasercutter so when I tried to take it out the mould it got caught and took of some of the edges. This was a big problem so I lasercut the model again and scraped away the edge with a stanley knife and tried again. This time it came out perfectly.

Below is the vase design sheet and 3D rendering decorated with some poppy flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment