Thursday 15 March 2012

Clay Extruder Stencil

For my Ceramics Project I have been experimenting with scale for my light, I have to create a stencil for the clay extruder that will give me the hollow extruded outline of my light. I had to find the correct measurements for the shape to fit into a 9.4 by 9.4 cm square for the clay to go through the extruder properly. I then produced the lights pattern in solid works using the correct sized shape and produced a prototype with a 3D printer of the finished idea which is quarter the scale to the finished light design.
 















I then had to cut the pattern out of a 11 by 11 cm sheet of alluminim, I did this by drilling holes to allow the band saw blade to go through and also holes for a construction system. I need the shapes that are in the centre of my shape to make the light hollow, so I need to hold them in place using screws, I have produced an example in solidworks to explain the idea. So far I have managed to cut out the inner shapes and they only need some filing, so now theres only the outer ring to the shape to tidy up.
For my Cad Project I have tried looking at the fibbonacci pattern and then changing it to create even patterns, changing subtle curves inside a circle and mirroring and rotating shapes. The patterns I have come up with are similar to mathematician and geometric sculptor George W. Hart who creates both 2D and 3D forms using mathematical equations, he has produced some amazingly complex work. Using the patterns I have created I want to experiment with ways of making the flat 2D shapes into 3D forms.