Thursday 29 March 2012

CAD Project

For my CAD project I have started with some patterns I have made in Corel draw based on the Fibonacci spiral and sequence. I then exported these files into Solidworks halved them through the circle and revolved certain shapes. This made some really interesting images that would only be seen properly if made from a translucent material. 
I looked at these and thought of the drawings by biologist Ernst Haeckel, who created hundreds of drawings of microscopic marine creatures. Each drawing is very detailed showing the beautiful patterns and repetitions of shapes within the creatures. I also looked at mathematician and sculptor George Hart who creates 3D geometric forms with 2D pieces of material. Most of his pieces are made possible by the technology of computer programs and rapid prototyping. 

From this point I was trying to think of ways that I could make my shapes 3D using 2D pieces, so I decided to look at nets of geometric shapes to see if I could use these to mimic shapes I have produced in Solidworks and then once I have the shapes I want I will figure out the best way to make them whether it be that I use hinges or layering.

Below are the 3D shapes I have created using nets. I am going to try and create new shapes by experimenting and attaching them together. For the finished CAD design I want to have a storage box or shelf, using either translucent or mirrored Perspex.