Tuesday 18 December 2012

Design Development


From my layered piece I decided to save time making other designs and use Solidworks first to test designs before making. After distorting my first casting accidently it gave me the idea of giving more shape to the pieces, and started to merge layered shapes together. This created an interesting feature where slithers of parts would come out of the piece. I’d like to take this further, looking at possibilities with lighting.  




 I have tried using a range of thicknesses with the layers, random shaped layers to create a dinted surface I have looked at other formations such as stalagmites and stalactites and incorporated it into the layered designs as shown below.











I have much more development to do within my designs, but first I need to research into lighting and tableware, slip casting techniques and 3D printing in Ceramics. To see if there are any techniques I can test before making my final designs. Maquettes made from laser cut layers of wood or perspex would be a quick and easy way of testing forms by hand, they are easily moved and changed compared to using a computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment