Thursday 19 April 2012

Stacking Storage Boxes


I produced my CAD stacking storage boxes in solid works to work out the scale of the boxes; I also produced a stacking maquette of how I want my piece to look. I used corel draw to draw out each individual pentagon that I would have cut with a laser cutter. I had to make 3 boxes each box descending in size and slotting into the box below. 






















I have had all my pieces cut out, and now I just need to assemble it. I will be sanding each outer rings edge on an angle so that they fit together flush when I glue them. The outer wooden shell will be assembled first and then I will use a glue for acrylic to fix the Perspex windows inside. The lid will be made up of two pentagons glued together and will open from a hinge at the top of each box I texted different ways of opening the boxes and found that one pentagon didn’t leave enough room for your hand to reach in or even to fit in objects a little larger than one pentagon I want to look for small acrylic hinges that have no screw holes in. I would like to experiment my design with a thin piece of alluminum too as it would fold just like a 2D card net I could use rivets to hold the shape together and drill some patterns into the shape and use it as a tealight.