Tuesday 17 April 2012

CAD Final Design


 


My CAD project has taken a turn into geometric shapes; I have created a range of maquettes and have chosen to use a dodecahedron as my starting point. I have experimented with the shape, looking at different sizes and stacking the shape on different faces, I liked the idea of stacking the shapes. My project brief is to create a piece of furniture; the 2D nets I used to make the 3D models interested me because they were hollow and I thought they could hold something. So I decided to create stacking storage containers each in the shape of a dodecahedron. I will stack 3 containers in descending size.

Instead of having fully blocked in shapes, I want to add see through panels within each polygon that makes up the dodecahedron, so that there is a transparency to see the inner angles and shapes through the container, however I don’t want to use clear Perspex as it could look cheap and will reveal the contents of the container too much, so I will use coloured frosted Perspex held in with a layered plywood frame. Each container will open from the top polygon which makes the user play around with the stacking of the object.   

I will attach each polygon segment with wood glue and put a hinge on each lid, the lids will need an indent to hold the container above, and the base of the stacking containers will need to have a double base. I have chosen to use 3 colours of Perspex, Purple, Pink and Blue.